CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

L am hiring an attorney. This attorney gave me the agreement…

Customer Question
l am hiring an attorney...
l am hiring an attorney. This attorney gave me the agreement letter. for me there are a lot things l don't like in this agreement.l am not comfortable to sign it unless this attorney edit it. what do you think about this agreement. let me know. l am trying to upload the letter.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: CA Real Estate
12/1/2017
Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am happy to provide feedback and review but that is deemed a premium service and does cost extra.

IF you do not want to do the premium service, just let me know any specific question you have.

I did not get an answer for my question. l am paying every month for justanswer. l don't know what you are talking about above
I need somebody else to answer my question. Do not ask me about premium
Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 7 months ago
socrateaser, Attorney

Different contributor here. Please permit me to assist.

The contract has a couple of provisions which I believe may violate the State Bar of California Rules of Professional Conduct. In particular,:

1. By effectively settling any possible dispute over a bill after 25 days under the contract, the attorney may be prospectively limiting liability to the client -- which violates Rule 3-400.

2. By authorizing the attorney's lien without notifying you of your right to seek independent counsel, the attorney may be violating Rule 3-400 (above) and Rule 3-300 which prohibits an attorney from taking an interest adverse to the client without satisfying all of the requirements of the rule.

However, if you ignore the defects and sign the agreement, and later you have a problem with the attorney, then you can bring a complaint to the State Bar for the rule violation, and you can sue for malpractice. Whether or not you choose to sign, or to try to preemptively resolve these issues, is your choice. Note: I could probably spend several hours dissecting this contract, and I might find many other rule violations. Unfortunately, the amount of time required is beyond the scope of anything that I could do in this forum -- given that I receive the rough equivalent of a Starbuck's mocha and a brownie for answering questions.

I hope you understand and appreciate my circumstance.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!