CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

I just got a letter letter saying I owe 885 dollars after…

Customer Question
I just got a letter...
I just got a letter letter saying I owe 885 dollars after moving out from a rental unit. My deposit was 1400, but somehow I OWE 885. They sent me an outrageous itemized list, I need to know what my recourses are. I'm attaching the list now, some of the charges just seem crazy. They want 400 dollars for a refrigerator gasket? Maybe someone can take a look and tell me what they think.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: CA Real Estate
11/25/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 7 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, attorney
I am sorry to hear you are having problems getting your deposit back along with the extra charges.It is hard to give an opinion when I could not persoally view the premises. So I will provide general information on when a landlord may deduct damages. Essentially a landlord may charge a tenant the reasonable cost of repair or replacement for any item damaged by the tenant that is beyond normal wear and tear. So for example if a carpet is dirty from daily normal use that is the purpose of rent and that cleano g cannot be deducted. Similarly scuff marks that are the result of daily normal living cannot be deducted.
The landlord has the burden of proof to show that the charges were beyond normal wear and tear and that the landlord charged a fair price. This is consistent with the landlord's duty to mitigate damages as well as the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing that is implied in every contract.So if the charges are excessive the tenant may challenge those charges and if successful the court will deny recovery.
This explains lawful deductionshttp://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/sec-deposit.shtmlIf excessive funds are charged (please read above link) the tenant may sue in small claims to recover those funds..Further questions please post here otherwise kindly rate positively. Thank you!

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thanks!

Terms of service can be viewed here: