CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

I need help toget a judgment which i was awarded against an…

I need help...

I need help toget a judgment which i was awarded against an unlicensed contractor i hired this person and accidentally overpaid him $570.00 for re-setting the tile on my house--i have been trying to get him to pay me the overpayment since nov 2016 he says he will pay me but never does

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is in diamond bar calif.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filed in small claims court he did not appear i have waited 30 days then i left a message if he was going to pay or i will take the next i recvd a judgment against him for 570.00 plus 100.00 for filing , serving papers and my expenses total of $670,00

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The contractor does not have a license

11/21/2017
socrateaser, Attorney

Did you pay this person by personal check?

Okay, well, my point is that if you paid by personal check, then the identity of the contractor's bank and his account number will be on the back of the check. You can use that to get a writ of execution from the court and then instruct the sheriff's civil department to garnish that account. If the account has enough money to pay your debt, then the sheriff will take the money, and assuming that the contractor can't prove that he's entitled to exempt the money from garnishment, you will collect your money.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Attorney