CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

CA Real Estate

My home owners association sent my account to a collection

Customer Question
agency which is charging me...
My home owners association sent my account to a collection agency which is charging me $ 3000 dollars.
I have been paying my association fees all year but a check had bounced without my knowledge, I tried to call the point of contact to straight it out because my balance was less than 300.00 hundred dollars. The collection agency has made threats to take me to court and garnish my wages. I am a disabled veteran and I cant afford to pay them 3 thousand dollar,
Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: CA Real Estate
11/12/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 1 month ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
The association won’t settle direct? Is that 3000 owing or includes collection costs?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Collection agency is charging over 2500 dollars. I only owe the association something like 350.00 right now.
Try to settle with association directly. If it refuses and agency sues a court would mediate a compromise surrounding the 350 only. Such usurious and excessive collection costs won’t be permitted.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The association wont settle and the collection agency wants to charge me an outrages fee. so do I get a lawyer and let them take me to court and are sure I will be able to settle for just the 350?
Would avoid lawyer fees and deny the claims personally offering to pay the balance actually owing. A court not likely to award more than the balance especially where creditor wrongly rejects it.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
LawTalk, Attorney