How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PhillipsEsq Your Own Question
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Category: CA Real Estate
Satisfied Customers: 19632
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your CA Real Estate Question Here...
PhillipsEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If there are serious building/housing code violations on

Customer Question

If there are serious building/housing code violations on rental property and someone notified the local inspector and then the property owner denies the inspector access to the property... What can be done? Other than the city attorney issuing a warning, that is...
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 6 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 6 months ago.

The City can fine the property owner until the property owner provides access to the premises. So, the City can do more than issue warning. The City can levy fines until the property owner complies.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But, is there anything that a private citizen (a former tenant of the property in question) can do to compel the city to take action?
This landlord WILL rent the unit out again, as hazardous as it is, despite the fact that the unit has never had a certificate of occupancy!
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 6 months ago.

A former Tenant has no legal standing to compel the City to do anything with regard to the building.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's complicated. I am still a tenant but the landlord got a restraining order against me before the Unlawful detainer process was complete.
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the clarification. The only thing you can do is to keep calling the City's Inspections Department to see when they are finally going to have access to the building. You cannot force the City to take action against the property owner. The City already has tools to force the property owner to give the inspectors access to the premises.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My concern is that the City is showing her special treatment and will not force the issue.
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 6 months ago.

I have nothing else to add. So, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much.