How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: CA Real Estate
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have nearly three decades of legal experience, including Real Estate Law, and have held a Real Estate Broker's License.
Type Your CA Real Estate Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At almost 70, unemployed...drawing Social Security and small

Customer Question

at almost 70, unemployed...drawing Social Security and small pension.....
If I let my house go into foreclosure, can Mortgage Co. put a lien on my S/S and pension so that I will have NOTHING >
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your social security benefits are fully immune to any general creditor's claims---such as a lender who forecloses on your property. You are free to allow the foreclosure to go forward and your social security benefit is 100% protected. Likewise, your small work pension is also 100% protected by federal law.

They cannot put a lien on your benefits, nor garnish them, nor can they seek to levy the bank account that you have your benefit deposited to. Just be sure that the ONLY money that goes into that account is your social security. If you have any other money that you might receive from other sources, be sure to have a separate bank account for that money so your social security id fully protected.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,