How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: CA Real Estate
Satisfied Customers: 116788
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your CA Real Estate Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We're looking into way to qualify girlfriend's work

Customer Question

We're looking into way to qualify for my girlfriend's work benefits so we aren't both paying for medical insurance. One of the items that they list as a qualifier is if we own property together. Is there a safe way to add her as minority owner of my house... IE like 1%?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Putting her down as a 1% owner is more costly than it is worth, especially since it can cause property tax revaluation as well as fees to change the deed, but you can do it by quit claim deed (you can get the form from the property clerk's office).
Have you considered perhaps a registered domestic partnership which qualifies you for benefits under her insurance? At least with a RDP you can protect your house and other assets with a contractual agreement and have a separate property regime.