How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: CA Real Estate
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your CA Real Estate Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am about to inherit a building full of rent-controlled

Customer Question

I am about to inherit a building full of rent-controlled tenants in San Francisco, CA. I'd like to sell the building and don't have my name on it yet. In CA, there is a new ordinance that requires owners must register with the rent board if they are going to ask a tenant to move out. Do I have to do this if I am not the owner or any agent of the building whatsoever? Can I simply ask the tenants if they have an interest in either buying their own units or buy out and refer them to the current owner for follow up?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. The estate is in control until the property is placed in your name. I suggest you can verbally "feel" them out about their intentions to give you some sort of idea, but that is all until the property is legally yours.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
You can have the current owner/the estate then discuss this with them, yes.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.