How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: CA Real Estate
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have nearly three decades of legal experience, including Real Estate Law, and have held a Real Estate Broker's License.
Type Your CA Real Estate Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have entered a small claims case against a corrupt law

Customer Question

I have entered a small claims case against a corrupt law firm who messed up my mortgage (for a fraudulent loan remodification). They contacted me to settle (via letter). I ask in my small claims case for 9100. Should I stick to that number?
I paid 2500 upfront for them to help me with a loan remodification. They told me not to pay my mortgage. I got behind 3 months. My credit got ruined. (from 750ish to 640ish).
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

There is an old adage that in small claims court you cannot get what you don't ask for. If you are suing for breach of contract and you are asking for your money back as well as damages for the damage to your credit, there is no reason to lower the amount you are asking the court for. I see no reason based on the facts that you provided not to stick to that number for the small claims court trial.

If you want to negotiate with the Defendant outside of court---well sticking to your number of $9,100 might prevent a good settlement---but that is up to you.

But for court, sure, keep the number you have.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,