How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: CA Real Estate
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have nearly three decades of legal experience, including Real Estate Law, and have held a Real Estate Broker's License.
Type Your CA Real Estate Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did 18 months of work client to build her home, permits,

Customer Question

I did 18 months of work for a client to build her home, permits, planning, designs, execution of many items. Her promise was to pay me when the house was complete. When the house was complete, I billed 1/3 of my actual hours to be kind and knowing this was a huge financial burden for her. She is in her home now happy and complete.She became violent, and is only willing to pay 1/5 of the significantly reduced bill I gave her.I now will have to go to small claims. My question is, do i file a claim for the full amount she should have paid me, or am I restricted to the significantly reduced price.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As you offered her an accommodation just to be nice, and she basically told you to take a hike, you are under no legal obligation to agree to take the 1/3 now.

You can sue her in small claims court for the entire bill if you would like. The only thing that you must do first is make a demand on her for the full amount. Because you billed her only part of it to begin with, be sure to tell her what you had done for her and why and that as she is now giving you a hard time, that you want the entire amount and tell her how much that is. If you gave her a written invoice originally, then send the new demand, and explanation, in writing too. That way she can't just waive your original invoice in small claims and claim that you are increasing the bill without justification.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,