How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: CA Real Estate
Satisfied Customers: 118707
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your CA Real Estate Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My deceased uncle purchased a note from a bank in 1983. The

Customer Question

My deceased uncle purchased a note from a bank in 1983. The original note amount $37, 800 in 1979, secured by property. In 1983, my uncle made a new agreement with the property owners for the amount of $47,750. The new agreement does not mention the property. Yet in 1995, he filed assignment of deed of trust for $37,800 secured by the property. I want to sell the note, but was told I need to secure the note with the property.
What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: CA Real Estate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The property is in California.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Actually, you are going to need to go through probate to get all of this put into your name or sell it on behalf of the estate. If he filed an assignment of the deed of trust secured by the property, but the note does not mention the property, you are going to have an issue trying to collect on the note through the property, so this is going to require a local attorney who is handling the probate to transfer all of the notes and deeds of trust or whatever instruments that exist from your uncle's name into the name of the heirs and this has to be all done in the probate process so a probate attorney is required to do this and sort through the documents to see how to correct them and make them enforceable I am afraid, as we cannot actually review everything necessary in this forum to properly make that review and determination.