Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

Does the 2013 California Building Code specify setback requirements

Customer Question

Does the 2013 California Building Code specify setback requirements for an accessory structure and/or masonry wall higher than 7 ft? Local zoning regulations are of no help here. Local muni code has adopted and incorporated the 2013 CA code by reference as local code.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
After looking for this answer in the 2013 CA Building Code for about 1 hour, the closest answer I was able to find was from the City of San Bruno's adoption of the 2010 Code was says:
DETACHED GARAGES AND ACCESSORY BUILDINGS
Any structure less than three feet from a property line must have a one hour fire wall along that side and no openings (windows, doors, etc.) are permitted in this wall. Detached structures must be a minimum of six feet
from any other structure. This distance is measured from face of support to face of support.
City Planning and Building Divisions criteria are considered when deciding how close you can build to a property line. Building setback lines may require greater distances from property lines than California
Building Code regulations allow.
An accessory structure less than 120 square feet does not require a permit provided that it meets all requirements listed:
• Lot coverage and setback requirements apply to all accessory structures.
• The maximum height of any accessory structure is 9 feet for walls and 14 feet maximum roof peak height.
• Only one accessory structure not requiring a permit can be located on a property.
• Electrical and plumbing permits are required regardless of the size of the structure.
If you want another expert to give it a shot, please press the OPT-OUT button. If you want a refund, just let me know...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found the same San Bruno information through a Google search. There are also many other statements (also resulting from Google searches) by various Ca municipalities that speak to their setback requirements in their specific building codes. I'm trying to find what the 2013 CA code specifies about setback requirements. Thanks. Just to be clear, I'm not interested in paying any additional fees at this point. Thanks.
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
No problem; sorry could not be of more help. I will ask that you be given a refund. Thanks for giving us a try.