California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I work for UCSF I am a float meaning I do admin and medical…

Customer Question
Hi I work for...

Hi I work for UCSF I am a float meaning I do admin and medical assistant. There are three floats total in my department, but I am the only one who gets paid 2 different amounts for admin and medical asst. They get paid the same whatever they do. Went to my union 7 years ago all they did was make me pay into two unions. I'm bothered by this a lot and want to know what I can do. Is this a lawsuit?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Only 7 years ago, not with anybody else since. Just sent an email to HR today but they take 20 business days to reply

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I dont know what at will means. Yes I belong to two unions

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont even want to ask the union for help anymore because they didnt help me the first time.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
5/31/2018
California Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. The answer to your question is no, unfortunately, there isn't a case. Being a part of a union is not required as a condition of employment. A person can choose to join a union and unions are prohibited from forcing people to join as a condition of their employment. In addition, because you are being paid two amounts for two separate jobs, this puts you under two different union classifications. This means that two separate dues would be afforded. If you want out, you would have to advise the union you no longer wish to be a part of this, even if others having different circumstances. I'm very sorry and please don't shoot the messenger!

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?