California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

If I'm a union carpenter am i able to get my contractors…

Customer Question
If I'm a union...

If I'm a union carpenter am i able to get my contractors license and do work on the side without it affecting my pension?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes i am. i am currently with the union full time and would like to obtain my license to do legit side work.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
5/26/2018
California Employment Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 2 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

replied 2 months ago

Apparently, it is common practice for union carpenters to work on side jobs. Here is what one union person said:

"Around here union guys are always doing "side jobs". I don't know a single union guy who doesn't do them. These are always cash jobs(can't let unemployment know about it, right?), uninsured jobs, they usually ask for money up front from the homeowner(can't risk my own money, right?). If they go on strike, what do they do? Picket line? no way-side jobs get them through.” http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/comment/14940

I hope this helps. Please go ahead and rate me. I get no credit for my work for you until you rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question, I would appreciate it if you ranked my service excellent/5 stars at the top of the page. A BONUS is also appreciated if you think that I have earned one.

replied 2 months ago

Have I answered all your questions? If so, please rate me. I get no credit for my work for you unless you rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee.