How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 129307
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was employed by a company in California but live in

This answer was rated:

I was employed by a company in California but live in Minnesota. I was paid a salary and reimbursed for all expenses incurred while working events. These expenses were put on three credit cards I used exclusively for travel and business. The company has made token payments over the course of the last four years. My cards now total well over $18,000 and every month my interest charges are well over $300 dollars. They then made me a contract employee after asking how old I was and I did one event on this program. The contract was set, I was on the road 28 days, filed my expenses which covered four pages of figures. They paid me the lowest sheet then informed me that I had to refile my expenses and they changed how I was paid and the amounts to be paid. I'm 72 years of age, now on fixed income, and rapidly watching what little money I save for retirement is going to pay off the credit card companies. We had a health insurance agreement from 2013 for which I have received not one dime. The stress of working for this company cost me 60 lbs and I suffered a stroke this past September and am now blind in my left eye.. Can I sue for pain and suffering as well as the monies they owe me or am I pretty much screwed. I really need help if you can. Thanks for your time and consideration in this matter
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: There is only the owner, he is HR and an accomplished liar. I tried to talk to an employment law firm but they were not interested, they said not enough monies involved. So here I am asking you.
JA: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: No union, I'm a salesman in the motorcycle industry for the past 45 years.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, one last thing. An example of how this crook works, I just received a check for $500 dollars on an invoice total of $2,449.13 dated Oct. 22, 2014. As I said I'm not his banker and because of my age he abused the hell out of me knowing finding another job would not be easy.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You cannot sue them for pain and suffering I am afraid as this is a breach of contract claim and as such you have to sue them for breach of contract for all the money they owe you for the expenses you incurred. Your expenses were part of your pay, so you can seek "liquidated damages" for up to three times what they owe you plus attorney's fees upon showing that they have willfully and maliciously refused to pay you the pay and expenses you were entitled to under your agreement. However, you have 3 years from the date they last paid to sue them, so you need to get an attorney in CA and file suit against them and you can get one at the same site used by other attorneys,

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq. and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you