California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I am an employer. I received a visit from a labor

Customer Question
I am an employer...

I am an employer. I received a visit from a labor commissioner deputy and he gave me penalties. I did not agree with his determination so there was a hearing for me to argue but I missed the hearing. I was told there is nothing I can do now but pay. Is there something I can do? It is in California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?

No. I am not sure what type of lawyer I need.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does the employee belong to a union?

The thing is I have no employees. It is only me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s all

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: California Employment Law
3/26/2018
California Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 29 days ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

Being completely honest, at this point your options are extremely limited because you have missed your deadline to challenge the decision. What you would need to do is write a letter to the Labor Commissioner explaining that you had good cause for missing the deadline (i.e. a serious family emergency or health problem). If you can provide a compelling reason, they may give you another opportunity to appeal. Otherwise, though, and there would not typically be any other practical remedies to pursue.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Nonetheless, I do hope that you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer