California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I am an NP. I live in California. I am intending to resign…

Customer Question
Hello. I am an...

Hello. I am an NP. I live in California. I am intending to resign my current job. My employment contract states 120 days notice. However I want to leave sooner. Can the employer retaliate?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Los Angeles, Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time. Non-union.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
I had a surgery, and my employer failed to send disability papers to state disability insurance. As a result my disability claim is hanging there, I was left w/o any income for 2 months and have to borrow money to pay my bills.
I have returned to work, but want to quit this nightmare. In addition, the company requires that other providers fill prescription for any patient. I don't feel comfortable prescribing narcotics or antibiotics to patients I did not assess face to face. Can I justify my leave by disagreeing with such conditions?
3/13/2018
California Employment Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Does your contract state you MUST give 120 days notice? In general, with at will employment, one can quit for any reason (or no reason) - and can, similarly, be fired for any (nondiscriminatory) reason.

Hello Olivia. I actually submitted my employment agreement which has the provisions. I don't know if you were able to see it. The information you provided was too general. Anyway I already gave my 5 week notice, this is as nice as I can be. Will see how they respond.

You're right... I see your employment agreement now. If you no longer need an answer I can have your question closed for you.