California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

What are laws for breaks and lunch?

For California what are laws...
For California what are laws for breaks and lunch?
3/8/2018
socrateaser, Lawyer

Rest Breaks

In general, employers must provide rest periods of a specified minimum duration (generally 10 minutes of paid rest for every 4 hours worked). For shifts of less than 4 hours, employees are entitled to a 10-minute rest period after 3 1/2 hours. [8 Cal.C.Regs. §§ 11010-11150, ¶ 12 & § 11160, ¶ 11]

Rest periods are to be permitted in the middle of the shift “insofar as practicable” (see 8 Cal.C.Regs. § 11010-11150, ¶ 12(A)). According to one California opinion, “departure from the preferred schedule is permissible only when the departure (1) will not unduly affect employee welfare and (2) is tailored to alleviate a material burden that would be imposed on the employer by implementing the preferred schedule.” [Rodriguez v. E.M.E., Inc. (2016) 246 Cal.App.4th 1027, 1040]

Meal Breaks

Employees who work more than 5 hours in a day are entitled to a meal period of at least 30 minutes; and a second meal period of at least 30 minutes if they work more than 10 hours in a day. [Lab.C. § 512(a); see Brinker Restaurant Corp. v. Sup.Ct. (Hohnbaum) (2012) 53 C4th 1004, 1041-1042]

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Thanks!

You're welcome and thanks for using Justanswer!