California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I have a client who is employed by the County of Ventura.

Hi Patrick,I have a client...
Hi Patrick,I have a client who is employed by the County of Ventura. They are not deducting disability insurance from her paycheck because she serves the Public. She has been trying to find a way to pay into State Disability, but just keeps getting the run around.She has also tried Aflac, but they denied her because only her employer can sign her up of which they won't.Please advise.Thanks,Kathleen
3/8/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hi Kathleen,

Unfortunately, many public sector employers are not required to pay into the SDI system. The good news is that I believe there are many insurance companies that will offer disability insurance directly to the employee. So, your client would be well advised to continue contacting other insurers to see about procuring a private disability policy directly. That would be her only remaining recourse for disability insurance under the circumstances you have described.

I hope this helps. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Patrick, Esq.
Thank you Patrick!

My pleasure to assist. Take care and have a very pleasant evening.