California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I live and work in California. I was a W-2 employee and my…

Customer Question
Hello, I live and work in...
I live and work in California. I was a W-2 employee and my former employment agency owed me a pay differential for hours worked in 2017. They ended up paying me a few weeks ago, at the rate that I requested, which felt like a win, but now I have some follow-up questions I’m hoping you can help with.
#1 Prior to me being paid the differential in 2018, I had specified (on the correct forms W-4, etc.) that I did NOT WANT taxes withheld (CA State and Federal) from my checks in 2017. The differential check I received was slightly less than I was expecting due to withholdings. Please advise if the agency correctly withheld the below items. During 2017 I didn’t pay much attention to what/if any deductions were taken from my weekly checks, but I’m 98% certain none were taken.
Withholdings from check:
FICA, MED, State CA, Local CD#2 I got my sizable differential check in 2018 but it was for time that I had actually worked in 2017. My income will be much higher in 2018 than it was in 2017. I don't relish owing more taxes for 2017 on account of this, but as it stands now I feel I will be taxed much more with it being added to my overall income for 2018. The agency gave me my W-2 for 2017, prior to them paying me the differential in 2018, but I have not yet filed my 2017 taxes. Do you have any general input to offer about this?
#3 I signed a work agreement with a new company today, as an independent contractor (1099) My new contract had the *below language which prompted me to question if interest might be applicable to the differential payment I received that was for the period of July to December 2017. Is there any applicable interest in my scenario?
New Contract Language
*Each accurate invoice shall be due and payable to Consultant after fifteen (15) calendar days after receipt of such accurate invoice and any past due (15 days after the initial 15-day net) undisputed amounts shall thereafter accrue interest, until paid, at the lesser of 1.0% per month or the maximum interest rate permitted under applicable law.Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: California Employment Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please cancel this question as I have resubmitted it today due to no response. Thank you.
Answered in 7 days by:
3/14/2018
California Employment Lawyer: legalg, Other replied 1 month ago
legalg
legalg, Other

Hello; I apologize as this question was not highlighted as awaiting a response - I will send this to the moderator so this question can be closed. Thank you.

LawTalk, Attorney