California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I was wondering if a supervisor texts you a warning through…

Customer Question
I was wondering if...

I was wondering if a supervisor texts you a warning through about a final warning should it be seen as a threat

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will and Part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That it’s about scheduling conflicts and I told them in advance I couldn’t work certain holidays because childcare is closed and they said they didn’t care pretty much

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/24/2017
California Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

A threat of intimidation (legally termed, "extortion") is only wrongful if the perpetrator has no independent right to the thing demanded by the threat. Example:

If your employer has the independent right to demand your employment under your employment agreement, then the threat to terminate your employment unless you show up for work is not wrongful.

Under the typical employment contract (whether written or oral), an employer has the independent right to demand that an employee work. The employee has the right to refuse, and the employer has the right to terminate the employment contract (Cal. Labor Code § 2922).

So, here there is no extortion and no wrongful threat.

By contrast, if the employer were to demand $100 if you want to avoid being fired for failing to show up for work, then that would be criminal extortion -- because the employer has no independent right to demand payment from an employee as a substitute for the employee's availability for work.

In sum, while a text from an employer making a demand on an employee could be criminal extortion -- based on the manner in which you have asked your question, this particular "threat" is not illegal extortion.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer