California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

When I retired I was given my leave pay checks. In the

Customer Question
When I retired I...

When I retired I was given my leave pay checks. In the envelope was also two check stubs without pay checks. These were two requested supplemental pay checks that was never given to me. Also, I requested health insurance continuation, but was given. Lucky for me I am a Veteran with VA insurance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this wage-and-hour issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I hired a lawyer, I just got a notice that they were not preceding, because DSH had said that I cashed these checks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does the employee belong to a union?

I am a retired peace officer. I worked at DSH as an MTA, which stands for Medical Technical Assistant. I am a member of CCPOA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Besides the check stubs, I would have been fined for no health insurance had I not had VA heath insurance.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2017
California Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, if they were required to give you your last checks on a particular day, but failed to do so, then you may have a valid complaint you could file with your state's department of labor or department of industrial relations. Generally, when someone quits an employer, they are due wages either at the time they quit or on the next regular pay day. If they did not do this, then they owe you this particular money and the government should help you get that money back. What other questions did you have for me regarding this?