California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

For legalgems -------------------- If any one joins a 2nd…

Customer Question
ForCustomer--------------------If any one joins a...
ForCustomer--------------------If any one joins a 2nd job, after his current job office hours or in the current jobs vacation period, is he obligated to tell this to current employer. The current job is in California.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
12/18/2017
California Employment Lawyer: legalg, Other replied 2 months ago
legalg
legalg, Other

Hi! A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information-thanks!

Being that the employment relationship is contractual, it would depend on the circumstances of the particular contract.

For example, the parties are free to make contractucal provisions so long as they do not violate any statutes or codes. Since there is no statute that precludes an individual from working 2 jobs, it is not illegal to do so (illegal conduct can void a contract, for example).

However, if the contract between the employer and employee (and this can include policy manuals and other documents, not just a signed "employment contract") restricts additional employment then that may be grounds for termination.

Since most employment relationships are "at will" (ie either party can terminate, for any reason so long as not illegal, without notice) the employer could legally terminate the relationship based on outside employment even if it was not contractually forbidden.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

Hello Again;

If you have any questions on the above please post by this evening so I can respond tomorrow morning; otherise I will be out of the office for a few days; of course upon my return you can also follow up then.

Enjoy your holidays, and thank you!

If no further questions kindly rate positively but if questions remain, ask away!

legalg
legalg
legalg, Other