California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I have a very messy hostile work enviorment which has had…

Customer Question
I have a very...

I have a very messy hostile work enviorment which has had serious impacts on my mental health. I work for a prestigious private high school. and HR and the head of the school and the head of my department didnt do anything later my information from my mental health was told to the accused hostile emp;oyee

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

And They spoke about my claims without me

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will employee my contract doesnt say part time. It states i get a guaranteed 20 hours min a week, based on the 20 hours I was guarateed a salary of $25,000 around that

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I teach 2.5 classes out of the 4 and my name is ***** ***** one class

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
It is in Studio city California
These are my contracts
I did not send any medical records, and HR told the head of my Department about my "mental illness" as well as the as the accused employee . I did everything in my employee hand bbook and no one did anything . Cythia is the accused "dance deparmt director" a title she made for herself. went over my shoulder and scrolled through my email. and it was abolut HR and beacuse HR asked her without my permission or me being there Cynthia denied ever doing anything
I spoke to The head of my department 'Rees' and when HR approched him he said never in my 18 years of working has this happened. In the begining of the school year he said Michelle I know everything thats going on in the dance department
The previous dance faculty went to college with me and she spoke to Rees saying everything but Not HR she regrets that
I dont want to file for workers comp I want to file a law suit for neglecting me. I moved from NYC for this job. I gave up my dance company.
I have endless emails. to support all of this.
This is just an example of how she talks to me.
This was the last straw
doesnt this go against a FLA workplace code of conduct
Is anyone going to help ?
Answered in 1 day by:
12/16/2017
California Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

I have read all of your documents, but what I did not see in any of them is any indication she is doing anything to you that is based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin.

Can you please tell us, what is she doing to you that is only because of your age/race/sex/disability/national origin?

I guess I am putting the wrong term for my problem. I believe HR has neglected my harassment claims. And has violated my rights by disclosing protected health information.
The head of my department was well aware of the departments work environment and failed to do anything to address the situation
I know there is no "bullying " law but my work environment met all the description except for sex age race and etc
I am on workers compensation right now

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately under the law, if your situation does not involve age/race/sex/disability/national origin, you have no legal cause of action to file against the employer. Your only recourse in that case is through the employer and if the employer refuses to make the workplace more civil, legally you cannot do anything to the employer for it.

As far as disclosing "protected health information" pursuant to HIPAA, HIPAA applies to medical care providers and medical care insurers, missing from that legal definition is employer. So, while the employer should make every effort to keep their employee's health information confidential, if they fail to do so they do not violate any law they can be sued over.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.