California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

URGENT! I speak for the entire teacher staff at the Rim

Customer Question
URGENT! I speak...

URGENT! I speak for the entire teacher staff at the Rim Unified School district in Lake Arrowhead. Our Administrators and Board of Directors are proposing that the teachers get a pay-cut (up to 10%), benefit cut (no benefits after 65), and retirement pay-cut. All the while they have given themselves raises and have written colas into their own contracts. As we are the 33rd "highest" paid district out of 35 in this county... we are already underpaid. They have included in their proposal that the teacher cannot compare their salaries to the mean or to other districts. The teacher are not in agreement with this proposal thus the administrators have filed an "em-pass". We have been told that if teachers leave there is an "aggressive hiring plan already in place" to replace them. In other words we are under-valued and replaceable. (BTW: we live in the snow in the mountains... its tough to commute down to other teaching jobs, and most teachers do not want to commute up).Administration has hired attorneys (that's probably where our salaries are going) and we do not know what recourse we have. Our Rim Teachers Association reps "found" the money in some of our budgeted funds to pay the teachers with... but the administration didn't care.
We have a board of directors meeting tomorrow 12/14/17 in the Rim High School Library at 4:00 pm. Not sure how much of this is legally public so we would appreciate your discretion. If you can help us please come to the meeting and witness first hand what we are up against.Sincerely
Rim Teachers

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Not sure but we are all full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Who can help us? is it an attorney we need? are they breaking labor laws?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
12/14/2017
California Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question.

I am afraid that state law forbids any expert on this site from actually representing you or any other customer on the site. If you need local counsel, please use the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com