California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

My employer changed my work schedule less than 2 days prior.

My employer changed my...

My employer changed my work schedule less than 2 days prior. Now im facing and no call-no show. Is that legal for the employer to that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Part time

11/11/2017
LawGuy
LawGuy, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

As a part time employee without a written employment contract requiring cause for termination, you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, compensation, schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all.

The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.

If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.

Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as office politics and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

LawGuy
LawGuy, Attorney