California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

I recently terminated an employee whom admitted to stealing

Customer Question
money from a customer that...
I recently terminated an employee whom admitted to stealing money from a customer that left his wallet in the car. The employee worked for us for roughly 10 years and as you can imagine was not happy about the termination. Prior to my taking over the HR 9 years ago he had an agreement to allow the employee to work all he wanted but would not pay overtime. As you can imagine because of his termination he now wants $25,000 to settle. I explained to the owner depending on whether he went to labor board or via court it could potentially go up to that amount and that his best option is to settle and he has agreed. He's meeting with him today to discuss the matter and I advised to have him sign a release letter. He's still concerned the letter might not be enough and he could still go sideways and is considering hiring him back as part of a bigger picture scenario. I 100 percent advise against this as everyone knows what's going on and puts the entire company in an ugly state if he chose to do so. What's the best verbiage to use on the letter to ensure I'm protected?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: California Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2017
California Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 1 month ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

What state is the company located in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
california
 replied 1 month ago

Thank you for providing that information.

Answer: Please click here to view a good sample for a California Mutual Release and Settlement Agreement. You may use this sample for your purpose.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi