California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

Issue: Employer failed to pay employee for 3 months.

Employee terminated employment and 6...
Issue: Employer failed to pay employee for 3 months. Employee terminated employment and 6 months later, after now former employee threatened to report, Employer now agreed to pay full amount of outstanding wages (Employee claims to have had no overtime or injuries due).Question: Are there penalties which Employer should have paid that Employee is due to have based on Employer's late wage payment? Employer has provided a "settlement agreement" which appears on the face agreeable to sign given the fees due and no other issue exists. (Info for my husband).
10/23/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

In order to answer your question I need to know what state the employment was in.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
California. Thanks. LA to be specific.

Thank you for the additional information.

Answer: The employer does owe the employee waiting time penalties. The penalty for failure to timely pay wages is the employee's regular daily rate of pay times the number of days delay, up to a maximum of 30 days. So in this instance, the employee would owe the employee's regular daily rate of pay times 30.

Please click here to learn more about waiting time penalties.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh my! Thanks!

You're very welcome.
Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cool!

Have a good evening.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi