California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I want to file a claim of exemption form to stop wage

Hi, I want to...

Hi, I want to file a claim of exemption form to stop wage garnishment but the EWO doesn't list the Sheriff's name or Levy number so I don't know who to submit form to. How do I figure out Sheriff's information?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes; EWO was given to my employer in Dec 2016 and my wages are still being garnished. I suspect the debt is actually mostly due to identity theft but I never fought it and now I just want to stop garnishment since I don't think I can get any money back...

Lawyer's Assistant: We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.

Can I attach documents to initial email I send or send by more secure method?

10/19/2017
socrateaser, Lawyer

I'm having some trouble understanding your circumstance. If the EWO doesn't identify the levying officer's name and address, then where is the employer sending the garnishment/money?

There’s only an address listed under levying officer & nothing under levying officer file No. ...additional instructions on separate form say ‘the amounts withheld are to be paid to a law office. The only other section that mentions anything in connection to Sheriff officer simply states ‘to the Sheriff or any Marshal or Constable of county of Los Angeles or any Registered process server.’I can ask HR tomorrow who funds are issued to.I just need the person who to submit claim of exemption

Garnishments are to be paid to the levying officer -- which is also where the claim of exemption is to be delivered -- not to a law office or anyone else. I would take the EWO to the sheriff's office and ask them if they've been receiving this money -- because it seems to me that the entire EWO may be a criminal fraud. The sheriff's deputy may suggest that you file a criminal report on the matter.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
All good for now. Will rate now, in case I have trouble please apply 5 star rating. Thank you

Thanks much friend. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks for using Justanswer!