California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

Does an hourly installation supervisor, who works 40-hours

Customer Question
week, gets paid on Saturday...
Does an hourly installation supervisor, who works 40-hours week, gets paid on Saturday and Sunday on overseas assignment. if any, how much? His hourly rate is $17/hr. thanks.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: California Employment Law
10/18/2017
California Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you

with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thanks for your patience. California law requires that employers pay overtime at the rate of one and one-half times the employee's regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of eight up to and including 12 hours in any workday, and for the first eight hours of work on the seventh consecutive day of work. This is irrespective of it it is overseas or domestic.. In your case, your hourly rate is going to be $25.50 per hour.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This response is incorrect. It does not answer my question. please read my question carefully and respond accordingly.

So, I'm sorry, but the question seems unclear to me. You're asking if they work 40 hours a week at $17 per hour, gets paid on Saturday and Sunday, and works overseas, how much should they be paid?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he will not be working Saturday and Sunday on an assignment outside his home base, does he get paid anything during his off time? thanks.

I see what you mean. Thanks for clarifying. The answer to your question is no. If he is an hourly employee, he is only paid for the time that he is "on the clock." If the employer determines that he is "on the clock" every minute he is overseas, then he should be paid. However, if he is just required by his employer to work overseas, but is only being paid an hourly wage in exchange for the times that he is actually working, then he does not need to be paid for the days he is not working. Does that make sense?

Hello, I just wanted to follow up to se if you had any other questions?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer