California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

My question relates to non-compete agreements. I have read

Customer Question
online that California makes all...
My question relates to non-compete agreements. I have read online that California makes all non-compete agreements void, except for special circumstances.I run a commercial cleaning business. My clients include grocery stores for example.If i want to hire an employee to work for my business, i do not want them later trying to start their own business and try to market to my clients. This is especially a concern if an employee has run their own cleaning business before.Can i have them sign an agreement that they will not try to offer janitorial services to my client for a period of time after they leave employment with my company?Can i also have them sign an agreement that they will not work for my client in any job position, for a period of time after they leave employment with my company? And/or can i have my clients sign an agreement not to hire my employees? (This protects the effort i go through to find good workers to take care of my clients. If they hire my workers, how can i provide them a good service?)Finally, can you explain the difference between California law, common law, and the Uniform Commercial Code as to how they affect contracts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: California Employment Law
10/17/2017
California Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 1 month ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi Caleb. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer

Non-Compete: For your purposes, the likely best option, both legally and from a business perspective, is to have your employees sign a Non-Solicitation Agreement. You are correct that non-compete agreements are generally unenforceable in California. However, a Non-Solicitation Agreement is absolutely enforceable. This type of agreement outlines exactly what you are proposing. Your employees would be prohibited from engaging your clients for a certain period of time after termination of employment. The specific language you would include in such an agreement would be something similar to this:

• Employee will not during the term of their employment with the Company and for two (2) years after the termination of their employment, regardless of the reason for the termination, directly or indirectly, solicit or attempt to solicit any business from any of the Company’s Customers, Customer Prospects, or Vendors.

California law, common law and the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC): Common law is the original law that the United States (except for Louisiana) used as the basis for our legal system. It originates from England. The UCC is a set of laws that was created by a group of legal authorities as a suggested basis for contract law. All of the United States has since adopted it almost in its entirety as a basis for contract law. California has adopted it completely. Therefore, common law is only useful for attorneys and judges to understand the basis of contract law. The UCC and California contract law as codified is relevant to understanding the specific laws relevant today.

Rating & Additional Questions

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi