California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I received a signing bonus at my current company in my offer…

Customer Question
Hi - I received...

Hi - I received a signing bonus at my current company in my offer letter it states "You will receive a signing bonus of $5,000 on the first pay period one month after your start
date. This signing bonus must be returned in full should you leave Company at any point prior to
your one-year anniversary." I am seeing things in california employement law however that says I may not be required to pay it back in full? But there is a lot of conflicting information online

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
10/3/2017
California Employment Lawyer: legalg, Other replied 10 months ago
legalg
legalg, Other

Hi! A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information-thanks!

Unfortunately the terms of employment regarding signing bonuses are a matter of contract between the employer and the employee. This means that if the provision states the employer must return the bonus should the relationship terminate before the designated date, that would be a binding part of the contract.

Every contract does have an implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, so if an employer acted in bad faith and terminated the relationship in order to recoup the bonus, the employee may argue that and ask the court to void that provision.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: