California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

If an employee does not want to take the time off for

If an employee does...

If an employee does not want to take the time off for vacation does the employer have to let them work the 52 weeks PLUS pay out the 2 weeks vacation pay as a check? Which means they are getting paid for 54 weeks not 52 weeks. Please advise. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes, this is the State of California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time, administrative, non-union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time. Just not sure how to handle the situation.

9/19/2017
socrateaser, Lawyer

NOTICE: If you are presented with an offer for a phone consultation, which may appear to have been sent by me, please know that this is an automated website offer, and that I do not participate in this Justanswer program. If you would like to correspond with me directly, whether by phone, email or otherwise, then do not accept the phone call offer, because your request will be accepted by a random contributor, who may or may not be licensed to practice law in California – and, I will be unable to provide further assistance. Instead, simply type to me that you would like my direct contact info, and I will send you a specific offer for that purpose.

I am a member of the State Bar of California, the Bar of the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties), the Bar of the U.S. Tax Court, the California and National Associations of Realtors, and I have comprehensive information about all areas of California law.

Vacation pay is not required under California law. Neither is vacation time. The employer is not required to pay any cash for unused vacation until the employee's employment is terminated (quit, fired, layoff or otherwise). The employer may simply accrue the unpaid vacation until that occurs.

The reason why employers usually payout unused vacation in cash once per year is because the vacation pay required at termination is based upon the employee's final wage -- which is usually greater than the wage on the date that the vacation pay was earned. By paying it out once each year, the employer avoids having to pay more than would be the case if the employer were to accrue the unpaid vacation until the employee's final termination date.

Also, it can be quite a shock to have to pay out many years of unpaid vacation all at once.

In any case, the employer can simply not pay the unused vacation at this time, and maintain a record -- or, pay it out in cash -- at the employer's discretion.

If you need more personal attention than can be provided in this public forum, I can arrange to send you an offer of direct correspondence, and we can take the discussion offline into a confidential setting. Please let me know if you're interested.

If not, then I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
socrateaser, Lawyer