socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My husband and I have been married for 11 years. We work for

Hello.
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My husband and I have been married for 11 years. We work for the same hospital, and the same department. I found out that my husband is having a relationship/affair with our manager.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is against hospital policy for a manager to have this type of relationship with a subordinate. How can I prove their relationship is ongoing? I feel the reason why nothing was resolved when I brought the issue to Human Resources was because they denied their relationship/ affair and my husband made an intention to repair our marriage.

NOTICE: If you are presented with an offer for a phone consultation, which may appear to have been sent by me, please know that this is an automated website offer, and that I do not participate in this Justanswer program. If you would like to correspond with me directly, whether by phone, email or otherwise, then do not accept the phone call offer, because your request will be accepted by a random contributor, who may or may not be licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction – and, I will be unable to provide further assistance. Instead, simply type to me that you would like my direct contact info, and I will send you a specific offer for that purpose.

I am a member of the State Bar of California, the Bar of the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties), the Bar of the U.S. Tax Court, the California and National Associations of Realtors, and I have comprehensive information about all areas of California and federal law.

The issue here is whether or not you believe you are being subjected to any adverse employment actions as the result of your spouse's relationship. If you have a good faith belief that you have been discriminated against, then you would have a claim of sexual harassment against the hospital, and you can complain to the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). The agency will investigate and determine if there is any unlawful behavior.

As an example, if you are being made to feel uncomfortable by your manager's conduct, then that is sufficient to create a hostile sexual environment, and trigger your rights to relief for employment discrimination.

If you need more personal attention than can be provided in this public forum, I can arrange to send you an offer of direct correspondence, and we can take the discussion offline into a confidential setting. Please let me know if you're interested.

If not, then I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This situation has made me feel uncomfortable at work, especially when having to interact with his mistress. Knowing about their relationship makes it very hard (if not impossible) for me to completely heal from the affair. Their relationship has affected her reputation as a manger. Being that she is the manager, I feel that now I have to explore the option of leaving that hospital and my career has been ruined. I should not feel that I have to be the one to leave my job when they've violated hospital policies. What are my rights as an employee at that hospital? I would like to understand my legal position on how to handle this difficult work situation. Do I have a legal cause of action against the woman with whom my husband had an affair? She actively pursued my husband being fully aware that he was my husband and that we have children together. Although he also consented to having relations with her. Would the hospital be liable since I had already brought their attention to their relationship but now he is asking for a divorce. Could I be held liable if they were to lose their jobs?

What are my rights as an employee at that hospital?

A: You have the right to be free from unlawful discrimination based upon a hostile sexual environment. 29 C.F.R. Section 1604.11.

I would like to understand my legal position on how to handle this difficult work situation. Do I have a legal cause of action against the woman with whom my husband had an affair?

A: No. All such civil actions were abolished under California law in 1939. Civil Code Section 43.5.

She actively pursued my husband being fully aware that he was my husband and that we have children together. Although he also consented to having relations with her. Would the hospital be liable since I had already brought their attention to their relationship but now he is asking for a divorce?

A: The hospital is liable for sexual harassment. The employee may also be held personally liable for sexual harassment (creating a hostile sexual environment). But, a direct action for alienation of affection is abolished (see above).

Could I be held liable if they were to lose their jobs?

A: A good faith complaint about unlawful discrimination is protected activity. You cannot be held liable, unless your complaint were found to be band in bad faith (dishonestly).

Note: If you have further questions, please open a new Q&A session so that I may receive appropriate compensation for my additional efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!