California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

I was put on bed rest for risky pregnancy and went on leave

Customer Question
of absence, got disability on...
I was put on bed rest for risky pregnancy and went on leave of absence, got disability on May 2016. My whole pregnancy I did not work but still had my job secure. I had my baby and used my baby bonding time. 8 weeks. Returned to work in March 2017. And got laid off yesterday Sept 7th. Do I qualify for a special base period since i was not working almost a whole year so to pregnancy related issues and I was on disability. But I did work march, April, may, June up until yesterday pretty much. Can I get a special base period? Or should I just wait until October to file so they can look at the base period for apt,may,june?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
9/8/2017
California Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The special base period is a term used for for disability claims rather than unemployment. For unemployment, you can request an alternate based period. The alternate base period is your most recent four calendar quarters of work, rather than 4 of the last 5. You should qualify because you missed so much work due to your pregnancy but have been working the past several months.

If you file your claim by phone, you can explain why you want to use the alternate base period. They'll see what wages they can verify for you and if necessary, send a Request for Wages to the Employer to confirm.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney