Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I worked for union pacific railroad and was forced to retire

Customer Question

I worked for union pacific railroad and was forced to retire because of an injury 2001 . I have been told by social security that I have a Union Pacific offered 401k that I have some money available to me. I have tried contacting them numerous times without success. I would be very grateful for any assistance you can be
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: It was union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, I was told that I have a payout coming of around $12,000 and can't get any other info from the person handling things for the railroad
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your post. If you have not already done so, you will want to go to the following link that gives you information on how to apply for your distribution from the UP Retirement Plan and also has a link to the Guide for the Plan: https://www.up.com/employee/retirees/benefits/pension/index.htm

If, for some reason, after you have followed the instructions for filing for your distribution, you do not receive it then, at that point, you can file a complaint with the Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA), which is the U.S. DOL division that enforces ERISA, the retirement plan federal law which controls this issue.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page of my efforts to provide you with the relevant information, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 9th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.