California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

I have a 2004 W/C (Slip & Fall) case that included my

Customer Question
My name is***** have a...
My name is***** have a 2004 W/C (Slip & Fall) case that included my injured back, psych,cardiovascular and gastrointestinal systems. This settled in 2009 with a low-ball settlement amount of $86K and lifetime medical covering the above mentioned body systems. In 2012 State Fund Insurance asked my then attorney if I would consider a buyout of my lifetime medical. Of course I jumped at the opportunity because I could then be in charge of my own medical care, instead of having to be turned down by W/C utilization review departments for everything. W/C has not been paying for any of my medications for the last 6 years, so everything has been going through my Medicare/ and being covered .Secondary Insurance without question. Once my then Attorney, compiled all required documentation and sent it in, Medicare required a "Set-A-Side Fund" of $610K just for my lifetime cost of medication. Obviously State Fund felt that was too high and rescinded the buyout offer.
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: My attorney as since retired and the attorney he referred me to has spoken with me once in the last five years (in person) just to introduce herself. Basically she has done nothing on my case in 5 years. Now refuses to take my calls or accept a face to face meeting with me because "She is too busy to be bothered with my dead case that isn't o n calendar or docket.I believe that my case warrants another visit for a buyout offer. Since 5 years has passed and my case has not changed. There is/will not be any further treatment except for medication and Pain Management appointments as per my physician. How do I, or can I fire my attorney, get my 15+ years of files from her and attempt to complete the medical buyout myself? H Who and what HR department would I contact. The attorney I want to dump is a parter with her husband and they ARE the HR department!
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: with the attorney?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so, I just need to know if this is something possible for a "lay person" to accomplish?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
8/10/2017
California Employment Lawyer: nyclawyer, Attorney replied 3 months ago
nyclawyer
nyclawyer, Attorney
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.On review of your facts, you have a good case.Often a lawyer will withdraw and give the file if fears being sued for malpractice or a disciplinary Action.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up
LawTalk, Attorney