California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

I am a manufacture in Ca. I have a client that is a

California company as well and...
I am a manufacture in Ca. I have a client that is a California company as well and they are not paying for work rendered my company and my workers. I have 25 employees and I can not pay them because of that. What recourse do I have? .
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will no union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will it cost me to talk to the lawyer?
8/10/2017
LawTalk, Attorney

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Do you have a written contract with this other company?

2. Why will they not pay the money owed to you?

3. Are you saying that your employees are currently owed wages that were not paid by you?

Doug

1. no only POs.
2. They dispute some but can not tell me or give me checks to prove they have paid. my records indicate they have not. All the way back to 2015 and have been requesting this information sense Jan of 2016. They are at NET30 term at 75K. As of today they owe me $101,000.00. I have told them NET30 is not working and they have ignored that. I think they may be having finical issues as well. I have reduced invoice costing at their request as well to get them to pay but that did not work either.
3. Yes, if they do not pay me I will be unable to pay my employees.

What makes you believe they are having financial issues---as opposed to their simply disputing what has been paid and what has not been paid?

Do you have an accountant doing your books? I have a concern that you, or they, may have some bookkeeping problems that are compounding the problems that you have.

Do you have the ability to get a loan to be able to pay your employees in the short term?

Doug

I am a combat serivice disabled small businesses owner

First of all, from one veteran to another, thank you for your service to our country.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge of just $5 more I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me.

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
Thanks for your service as well.

I'll call you as soon as I get off of a call I am on now. Perhaps 5 to 10 minutes.

Doug

Their Raw goods suppliers have told me they are 60 days late on payment. I had to buy the good direct from supplier to finish their product.
I have 2 bookkeepers and one accountant, we are good.
I already have 2 loans out to cover the net30. I had to restructure in 2016 because my CFO and partner was taking money and not paying payroll taxes. I have agreement with IRS to pay back and paid back the stateof CA.
standing by

Calling now.

LawTalk, Attorney