Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

My son was recently diagnosed with autism and I am currently

Customer Question

My son was recently diagnosed with autism and I am currently suffering from depression and anxiety. I am having difficulty in functioning and concentrating at work. I called HR and they said that I can file for short term disability and I will be 100% covered since I've been working for them going on 11 years. What are my chances in getting my short term disability approve? I have been assessed by a therapist but I still have to be seen by a psychiatrist. The therapist only gave me 5 days off work order and he said that the pyschiatrist is the only one that can do my prescription and off work order longer than 5 days.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I cannot comment on your specific case, but generally, if the employee is unable to work for a period of time, due to physical and/or mental condition, then, in fact such employee can apply for short term disability and in some cases it might be sufficient if employee's physician certifies the medical / mental condition for short term disability and in some cases an employee that has applied for short term disability could be required to undergo an evaluation by physician chosen by the short term disability company.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already know about my rights for filing for short term disability. I wanted to find out what the likelyhood of my case getting approve. Should I even Pursue it? I Just don't have the time and energy to go through the hoops if it's not a viable case. I've got too many dr appts to go to already between my son and I.