California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

In San Francisco can high school students work 2-3 hours…

Customer Question
In San Francisco can...

In San Francisco can high school students work 2-3 hours aftr school. I am being told that it is against the law to schedule anyone under 4 hours. I do not think this is true. This is a retail boutique.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?

A district manager is telling me this as I do the schedule for the store.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

"at will" and "part time"

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there a fee for this service?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Employment Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

Ok

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
8/1/2017
California Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 11 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Under California child labor laws, 16 & 17 year old students can work no more than 4 hours a day while school is in session, no more than 48 hours in a week. Kids aged 14-15 can work no more than 3 hours a day while school is in session, and no more than 18 hours in a week.

This guide to California child labor laws may be very helpful to you.

there is not a labor law in San Francisco or the state that work shifts must be a minimum of 4 hours for adults or students 17 years or older? Yes or no? Thank you.

No. There are however retail employee rights ordinances for retail employees in the City of San Francisco that discuss "predictability pay" that must be paid to employees when employers change a schedule on an employee with less than 24 hours notice to add or subtract hours, which you can read here (scroll down, it starts with rule 5.1).

And you can read the code -specifically, Article 33G, here.