California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

My employer decided to take a weeks pay from all of its

Customer Question
My employer decided to...

My employer decided to take a weeks pay from all of its hourly employee's under the pretense that they never took a "week in the hole " when we were hired. They then had us borrow back our pay at a high rate of payment.Is this legal in California?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not as of yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all at the moment

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
7/31/2017
California Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

No, that's not legal at all. California Labor Code, Section 204 requires all wages to be paid to employees no later than 7 days after the close of a pay period. Paydays must be set and designated in advance at least biweekly. There is no provision that allows an employer to keep one week of an employee's pay, and they certainly cannot "loan" an employee's own money to them in order to charge interest. The idea of a "week in the hole" is that there's sometime an extra week's delay when setting up an initial paycheck, but it doesn't let an employer hold any other paycheck.

One option here is to report your employer to the Department of Labor so they can step in.

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm

If you wind up suing for your unpaid wages (and a refund of the interest charge), a judge can order your employer to pay your attorney's fees, court costs, plus interest on the money they illegally withheld. Sections 218.5-218.6.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney