Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I want to set up a resident caretaker services arrangement

Customer Question

I want to set up a resident caretaker services arrangement for a very small 501c3 volunteer fire department serving about 120 homes (only 20 of which are occupied year round) and am a bit intimidated setting it up as an employer/employee relationship. The timing of the services we want are not subject to a particular schedule as long as the caretaker achieves the service needs. Is this something that could be done as an independent contractor? No special tools are required and we would want the party to branch out and perform caretaker services for many of the other non-resident owners of 2nd homes we protect. Is this feasible as a contract arrangement?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?
Customer: no
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: I dont think it is emploment
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 2 months ago.

Yes as long as they have autonomy of performance of their obligations then you can certainly draft an independent contractor arrangement that meets your needs.