LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I just quit my nanny/ personal assistant job, as after a new

Customer Question

I just quit my nanny/ personal assistant job, as after a new hire I recommended was let go after only a week and one day on the job. ( she is also a personal friend). I left because right before maybe Wednesday my boss's attitudes towards me changed drastically, conversations were hidden, she was questioning how much she could trust me in passive aggressive ways things were adding up and I know how she let others go and pushed them out so I was in fear for my job security. And liability, I was noticing the nanny cameras unplugged, My time card was altered, and then my long in password ***** changed. I tried to talk with the about it but then my sister got sick and I had to leave to get her back in the hospital again. I knew any time I would need to take was going to give her reason to let me go, and I Honestly am a strong person and can emotionally put up with a lot but the thought of going back to the drama and emotion was making me sick. I put in my letter of resignation effective immediately as to just break ties and walk away. I had to block her number as I was trying to be professionally as I could and just let her know I would be sending back the house key and her moms book. She brought up a non issue of old daily logs (i.e. when he pooped and ate) that she insists I took out of the notebook and still had. I don't have them. I want to k now how I can file for unemployment. I work at the house alone the only person who knows what I am went through with her is the other woman she fired and as I explained we are friends. Professional in all aspects but friends. Should I be worried. I can't Log in any more to get prof of my Time cards. I know of some labor issues like overtime and calling out side of work hours on work topic went unpaid and or put on a day I was really only working a half day. I don't want to make this a big deal she's a small business but I feel really attacked. I just don't know if ill get my unemployment. I was a strong worker and I always worked hard never had a write up. I also never had a review or a working contract returned to me signed. I just don't know my rights here.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: calfornia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I filed for unemployment they let me give more than one reason as to why
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just don't have any proof other than what she said to me personally and what I shared with the other employee. so it worries me
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  philip.simmons replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I want to make sure I understand, you worked at this job less than 1 month? Is that correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I was with her form January to Today, The other woman was a contractor with her that I helped hire on (we are friends) and she was then asked to leave her job and work for my boss, she did as was let go a week later with out cause.
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 3 months ago.

did you work somewhere prior to this position

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was a Part Time nanny in San Diego on and off for years while also helping take care of my sister
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 2 months ago.

did you apply for unemployment?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Have you heard from unemployment yet? Was it granted or denied? What is the status of your unemployment case?