LawGuy
LawGuy, Attorney
Experience:  Over 25 years in practice
17897874

Would short term disability cover mental illness if it's

Customer Question

Hi. would short term disability cover mental illness if it's made me eligible for FMLA?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ca for stress and anxiety and depression
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: union part time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this moment that I can think og
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawGuy replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help. I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money. Some people just prefer the speed of a phone call and that the information not be posted on the public forum.

Expert:  LawGuy replied 2 months ago.

Depression may be more of an ADA issue rather than FMLA, since it generally involves a chronic but controllable condition. That is more of a disability issue.

That means that you could seek a reasonable accommodation and, possibly sue if refused.

Expert:  LawGuy replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!