California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

My wife is Thrisha Kashinath. The consult pertains to both

Customer Question
My name is***** and my...
My name is***** and my wife is Thrisha Kashinath. The consult pertains to both of us but primarily my wife Thrisha Kashinath.Both of us were in US for about 10-12 years (went to college in the US and worked for several years) on a H1 visa and had applied for our greencard. However, we disbanded the green card process and relocated permanently to India in October 2011. Both of us have a Social security number and TaxID number in the US, but stopped filing taxes in the US from 2012 since we don’t have any income there. We are Indian citizens and hold an Indian passport.
Thrisha has a Master’s degree in Physician Assistant studies (PA) and is certified by NCCPA and is currently licensed in the state of CA. She practiced clinically in the CA for 4 years from 2007-2011.Currently, we live in Bangalore, India and run a company that provides clinical support services to doctors based in the US. We basically develop clinical summaries and reports for doctors in pain management and orthopaedics. These reports become part of the patient medical record and are reviewed by insurance companies and other providers. Our company is incorporated in India and all our employees are based in India.Our client in the US (physician practice) is asking Thrisha to obtain a National Provider ID (NPI) and sign the clinical reports that we develop. Earlier the US physician (client) used to sign these reports.Additionally, they are requesting Thrisha to bill for these reports using her NPI – The reimbursements will accrue to the US based physician practice and not to Thirsha directly, but she will be listed as the provider developing and signing these reports and also as the billing provider via her NPI.
The primary questions are:Can Thrisha apply for a National Provider ID and sign the clinical reports although she is resident in India and is neither a US citizen nor a US green card holder? Can she co-sign these reports along with the US based physician? Are there any medical or tax implications of this?Can Thrisha be listed as a billing provider on these reports even though she will not be reimbursed directly by the insurance? Are there any medical or tax implications of this?***********The consult pertains to wife Thrisha Kashinath. She was in the US for about 10 years and relocated to India permanently in Oct. 2011. She is Physician Assistant and is board certified by NCCPA and is currently licensed in CA.
She develops clinical summaries and reports for doctors in pain management and orthopaedics based in the US. Can she apply for an NPI and sign these reports even though she is physically based in India and does not have any status in the US. Can she use her NPI to bill for these reports although the actual reimbursement from insurance will accrue to the US medical practice and not directly to her.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: California Employment Law
6/15/2017
California Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please understand a customer failing to leave positive feedback can have problems obtaining future services from this site.
She can obtain an NPI and she can sign reports if she is seeing patients or is signing as a reviewing doctor that is certifying that the patient report is accurate. They are asking for an NPI so they can bill insurers for her services, as that number is ***** That does not mean she would have tax implications because the practice is billing for her services using her NPI.
So, just because she has an NPI, she did not need to be a green card holder or citizen, and she does not get any taxable income, it is so the practice can bill for the services she is providing.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Thanks for your response, just had a follow up clarification. Since my wife is not seeing the patient face to face but since she develops the report by review of the medical history , just want to make sure that she can attach her name to the report and sign off on it.I would appreciate your earliest response.

Thank you for your reply.

Her signing off on the report would be attesting to the information she is putting in the report is accurate to her knowledge. So if she is putting the report together and believes it to be accurate, her signing is her saying so.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney