How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 1536
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I travel out of state for my job is the employer required

Customer Question

If I travel out of state for my job is the employer required to pay a stipend for food if they pay for your lodging.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I get a 1099 no taxes taken
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have never been given anything in writing describing how I will be paid or how much
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.
Good morning. Is there a company handbook or rule book?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No company handbook never signed any document other than a 1099
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.


Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If you are an independent contractor and not an employee, then if you don’t have either an agreement, contract, or collective bargaining agreement from a union, your employer is not mandated to pay for out of state travel or any other expenses. In California those classified as employees are covered under Labor Code 2800 and 2802, which states that an employer is required to pay the reasonable business expenses, including travel, lodging and meals.

So, any in state or out of state travel or expenses your employer is not required to pay.

I hope this helps.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.