California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

My employer recently terminated me for not filing my expense…

Customer Question
My employer recently terminated...

My employer recently terminated me for not filing my expense reports, when questioned I pulled up my receipts and explained to my new boss that I submitted maybe a little less than a year ago and the person to approve refused to do it and kicked them back, accounting told me they would fix it and didn't then the shared services transition went into affect and I had to track down the new person when could handle this. Apparently she was overwhelmed and never responded. I then lost my staff and was a one women department. I was on the executive team but was the only one not able to use the admin for expense report however she did finally get my approved changed in December 2016. So I started compiling the information not a lot as I didn't have extreme expenses, but was responsible for Christmas

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Anyway they terminated me and said I am responsible for all the money unless I submit the reports in seven days meanwhile I'm out of a job and she already had me sort them and show her prior to termination. She refused to take them then sent me letter stating I owe all the money and need to prove I have the reports? This is CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I had someone steal my personal credit card early Jan or late December but work card was found, I had expenses she just pointed out last month that weren't mine and I disputed with American Express

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: California Employment Law
3/22/2017
California Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am really sorry to hear that. You could try to file a wrongful termination claim but I don't think it would be very successful but more as a leverage to get them to back off on this claim for money.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see thank you

The challenge is that employment is at will in most states so they can fire you with or without cause except to discriminate against you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's ok thanks it's just that I filled a complaint against the prior hr person for not paying mileage for travel and their response was I should quite or they would find a reason to fire me - they put me in plans and monitored my every move then she finally got fired but my reputation she managed to ruin with false claims the final person they hired now has had same objective and started in December with a bad review no merit telling me I did horrible all of the sudden. I prior warnings nothing and my job was I. Jeopardy - then she started questioning everything I did and all my work - this place is insane and they get away with treating people bad I mean they had me deliver a terminated check mandatory alone to a persons house that we fired because he said he was going to shoot everyone it is crazy. I

That helps your case then.