Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

I hope you can. I was terminated in October of last year and

Customer Question

I hope you can. I was terminated in October of last year and my employer has yet to reimburse me for travel expenses
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: expenses are over $3,000 I am in California I know Labor code 2802 says i have rights
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not as of yet I was initially trying to tale a less aggressive course of action, but that is not working well
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is the jist of it
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

The employer is required to pay all monies owed to an employee upon termination where the termination is involuntary. Your description of the employer's failure to pay your expenses is a violation of the CA Labor Code. Here are links which provide more information including instructions on filing a claim with the state labor board, which has the authority to enforce an employer's failure to pay wages or expenses:

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm

http://gehreslaw.com/avoid-employee-wage-claims-california-texas/

Please feel free to ask me for clarification if you have any questions regarding my answer.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Tina replied 6 months ago.

Unlike wages, expenses need not be paid immediately upon termination but within a reasonable time which has clearly passed in your case.