Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Have a question relation to hostile work environment/having

Customer Question

Have a question relation to hostile work environment/having to quit
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: he has filed a TRO against me, I have not filed or done anything
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: California Employment Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ongoing relationship with COO of company after our break up contributed directly to declining mental health of myself and created a hostile working environment where I was unable to function as an employee. I was forced to quit as I was unable to work COO of company continued a phsyical relationship with me off and on despite my severe depression and threatening me with claims that I was harassing him, that the studio was pursuing legal action against me, and that the studio was planning to sue me for loss of work which lead to further anxiety and distress. Had the COO of said company refused to engage with me entirely and left me alone, I may have been able to work in peace, but his continued sexual encounters with me and off and on communication lead to severe depression, hospitalization, and seeking intense mental health intervention. The COO has also disclosed personal information regarding my mental health to others within the company making coming to work a humiliating experience. COO has since filed as restraining order against me after I called him excessively over the last month, a case which he lost. The case being brought against me lead to extreme anxiety and mental anguish. COO has threatened me numerous times to sue me if I discuss any aspect of our personal life that puts him in a bad light.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The COO has also disclosed filing an RO against me to over a dozen people which can and will likely cost me future jobs.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Having to quit this job has cost me thousands. Do I have any legal recourse to sue for front and back pay?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he is treating you this way based on a past personal relationship, this can be considered sexual harassment and you need to file a complaint with the EEOC and they will give you a right to sue letter and you can sue the company in court. He cannot hide behind a TRO for violating the federal and state sexual harassment laws, so you need to file your complaint with the EEOC and you need to then get your lawyer in place to sue him, since this conduct violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act for you to be free from harassment based on your sex in the workplace.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.