California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

I was terminated from a property management company in Anne

Customer Question
Arundel County. I wanted to...
I was terminated from a property management company in Anne Arundel County. I wanted to know if I have grounds to sue for wrongful termination and deformation of character? The hr supervisor said she was told I own a escort business and that's not true! In the letter it states she was told 3 weeks ago by an employee and a resident. I've been employed by them since Feb 2015. I just won an award that no other property managed by the company was able to obtain. My property was the best maintained out of the portfolio etc.
These false accusations without being first asked about it before Termination has placed me in a great financial bind and has emotionally scarred me! I have been a property manager for over 22 years with an exceptional track record and to be accused of committing illegal activity sexually and terminated for hearsay is a smack in my face! I feel as though they had me clean the property up and a new regional started on Monday so she wanted to bring in her own person as the face of my hard work ! I feel this may also be racially motivated. I was the only black manager in the company and I have a black assistant that was qualified for taking my position and they didn't offer her the position. But the regional that started Monday jokingly said you can train me.
There's is a current discrimination lawsuit pending from another past employee.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: California Employment Law
10/26/2016
California Employment Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Tarshea,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, you appear to have a claim against one or more people for defamation, as well as a possible discrimination claim. If you have a discrimination claim, then it follows that you would also have a claim for wrongful termination as well based on the fact that you were terminated as part of the discriminatory action taken against you.

From a legal standpoint, defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm.

1. Slander typically involves an oral (spoken) representation.
2. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as the internet, a magazine or newspaper.

In order to win a defamation case, you must prove the following:

1. A false statement was made about an individual, generally yourself;
  2. The statement was made to a third party;
  3. If the defamatory matter is of public concern, (for example if you are a famous person) fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher.
  4. Finally, you must show that you have suffered damages.

While in some cases of defamation you must actually prove that you have suffered some sort of damage, in other circumstances where there has been Defamation Per Se, the damages are presumed and you may simply ask for money.

The law generally recognizes four types of Defamation Per Se:

1. Where an allegation is made that a person has a loathsome disease. This is typically an allegation of a sexually transmitted disease.

2. The second type is a statement that a person committed a crime of moral turpitude. This can include everything from rape or theft to child abuse.

3. The third category deals with allegations of sexual deviance or the lack of being a virgin.

4. Finally, damages may be presumed if the false statement of facts affects a person’s reputation in regard to their business or profession.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Federal law prohibits harassment and discrimination in the workplace and if it does occur, you do have a legal remedy.

Workplace harassment/discrimination is any unwelcome or unwanted conduct that denigrates or shows hostility or an aversion toward another person on the basis of any characteristic protected by law, which includes an individual's race, color, gender, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other personal characteristic protected by law. A conduct is considered unwelcome if the employee did not solicit, instigate or provoke it, and the employee regards ***** ***** as undesirable or offensive.

You have every right to file a race discrimination complaint with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). If your company has 15 or more employees, they are prohibited from discriminating against you. To file a complaint with the EEOC, contact the nearest Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office. To be automatically connected with the nearest office, call(###) ###-#### EEOC website: www.eeoc.gov

Federal law specifically prohibits discrimination, based upon the Ethnicity, Color, Religion, National Origin, Age, Sex or Disability of an individual, with regard to hiring, promotion and firing.

After you file the complaint, your employer will be prohibited from any retaliatory action against you. The EEOC will investigate your claim, and 180 days after the filing of the complaint you may ask for a "right to sue letter". The EEOC will issue you the letter which gives you the right to institute a private civil action against your employer and seek monetary damages.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney